Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Non-Slip Headband

This post is for my sister, 8 months after she asked for it ;)  I LOVE these headbands!  I wear them almost daily, including when I exercise.
 So here's how you make them.  The trick is velvet ribbon.  I also just saw on pintrest that you can use velcro, the scratchy hook side of it.  I wonder if that would slip more or less?  I don't think the cost difference would be much.  Anyway, step one: choose your ribbon or trim and a coordinating velvet or velcro.  You'll also need elastic.  Next measure the trim on your head.  I cut mine to end right behind my ears.  That gives plenty of elastic (I've made mine with too little elastic and could barely get it on my head.)  If, like mine, your trim won't melt, you'll need to cut it a bit longer, long enough to turn the edges under.  Using that length, cut the velvet just a smidge smaller (1/4in. or less)
Next, melt the edges of the trim and velcro.  Or fold the edge down once and sew it.  Here, you should check to make sure the velvet will still just a smidge shorter than your trim to make sure it doesn't show on the edges.  But it doesn't have to be perfect since it'll hide behind your ears anyway.  Also go ahead and cut your elastic.  Measure along the back of your head from ear to ear without stretching it at all.
Then sandwich the two trims together and sew along the long edges.  
I also go ahead and sew the piece of elastic in one end by tucking it in between the two ribbons.  Now here's the trickiest part.  Put it on your head (holding that loose end in place.)  Pinch the ribbon and elastic so that there's just a little bit of tension and stretch.  You want it taut, not tight.  Trust me; if you stretch it too tight, it will no longer be a non-slip headband.  Still there's some wiggle room, so don't stress.  Then pull it off your head and mark the elastic where it should meet the velvet.  Then tuck that end of the elastic in between velvet and trim as well.  And sew it in place, making sure nothing is twisted.
Sorry for the discrepancy in the picture.  I often leave the trim long on one end and cut it to length after everything's sewn together.  I think I did that because I had limited trim and didn't want to risk making a mistake.  It was my grandmother's.  Anyway, you should now have a super cute headband that won't slip and can be thrown in the wash if you sweat in it.

They make great gifts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment